Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 31: Driving Me Crazy

Aha:
I noticed myself replacing irritable thoughts with atonement/covenant reminders instead.  I wish I could say that this happened each and every time I had a less than perfectly-cheery thought running through my head, but it did happen more often than any other day.
When I experienced something painful this afternoon, I found myself comforted knowing that Jesus had experienced this before and I didn't have to hurt alone.  When I got stuck in traffic this evening (see below) and wanted to rip my hair out, I began to have a desire to be better and happier because I remembered I had covenanted to do so.  When my desire turned out to become nothing more than that, I knew that I could repent and try to improve next time (oh dear, that means there has to be a next time!).
I'm hoping that by thinking more about the atonement and the covenants I made at baptism that I can respond to the challenges I face with a cheerful disposition, with stronger faith in the Lord that His plan is better than mine and with effort that is pleasing to the Him.

Ha ha:
I drove downtown today at 5:15pm.  I could just leave it at that, but I'll expound for expounding's sake.  For those of you who don't know me, I despise traffic.  I LOATHE it.  I instantly tense when I think of being stuck in it.  Today I drove in it.  Well, I tried to avoid it by taking surface streets, but I literally was stopped at every. stinking. red. light (and I live 84 blocks from downtown...that's a lot of signals).
The first 20 or so I tried to keep a sense of humor.  I kept thinking, Again?  Man, this couldn't get any funnier!  I wish I had kept that mentality.
I finally make it downtown (no thanks to my mal-functioning GPS), parked my car, paid the meter and proceeded to walk in the direction last stated by the GPS.  After about 10 minutes, I realize this is not right, the street numbers are getting bigger, not smaller.  I'm running out of time to get to the store that closes at 6pm.  I get in my car, hit another set of lights before finally reaching my destination (just as it's about to close).
Getting back in my car, I begin my trek back home and am SURE to NOT take surface streets.  As I approach the last signal before the freeway entrance the light turns yellow, but the car in front of me stalls and there's no time for me to get through the signal.  No big deal.  It's the last signal before you're on the freeway.  Just laugh about it.  Right then the bridge lights start flashing and my only access to the freeway is slowing lifting high above the road for a passing boat.  5 light changes (15 minutes later) the bridge is back down.  I wait for one more signal change and then I'm freed to go.  Once off the freeway I hit the first signal, but the second two were GREEN!!
My car and I made it in one piece.  I've never been so happy to be off the road in my entire life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment