Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 7: Comforts

Aha:  Good Company
I'm surrounded by good people in my life.  Today, I (and five other guests) were served appetizers, dinner and dessert by an 80-year-old lady from church.  I have had the privilege of getting to know her over the last year through the Visiting Teaching program in our church.  She joined the church when she was 50, became inactive and stayed that way until about 2 months ago.  For the longest time I couldn't even get a hold of her by phone.  My companion and I would leave messages in the hopes that one day she would call us back but she never did.  I wrote her letters and told her that I would love to meet her someday.  One evening I got a call from one of the men in the ward asking me if I was her visiting teacher and if I wouldn't mind calling her at her new phone number.  I was ecstatic!  Finally, after months of trying, I finally got to speak with her.  She sent me a card and thanked me for my letters and we have spoken at least weekly ever since.  About 3 months ago she told me she wasn't going to let anything stop her from going to church any more.  She lays out her clothes two days in advance and is waiting outside for her ride every Sunday morning (rain or shine).  Tonight my friends and I were not only provided dinner by an 80-year-old woman who just wanted to say "thank you", but we were blessed to see the fruits of our labors.  Not only is Marji a wonderful addition to the church, she is also one of my very dear friends.

Ha ha:  Nice Warm Bed
Although he won't say it out loud, Clinton absolutely adores our dog.  If I say, "You think he's cute."  He'll quickly reply in a jokingly-defiant tone, "No I don't!"  We both know the truth though, he loves him to pieces!  I woke up this morning to Clinton pulling Peter up on his back onto his pillow and tucking the blankets around him (mind you, it was 80 degrees by 7am this morning and there was no need for covers for humans, let alone dogs).  He said, "Aw wook at him sweeping."  I told him to quick take a picture so I could post it on our blog.  He protested and said, "No, that's silly."  (Right, I'M the silly one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment