Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 12: The Importance of Choosing Proper Protection

I have a confession to make.  Until yesterday evening, I was a concert virgin.  I'm a twenty-something who'd never experienced the adrenaline rush of going to a concert.  My gal-pals and I bought tickets in April and I went to a Katy Perry concert.  I'm not the biggest Katy Perry fan, but the whole experience with my girlfriends was priceless!!  We had so much fun and the opening band "Marina and the Diamonds" was fantastic! 

With all this said, I knew nothing about what to expect, what to wear, how to do my hair/make-up or how beat up my body would feel the next day.  My aha moment for today may be labeled by some as "minoot" or "not even worth mentioning" but to a concert virgin it meant everything.

Aha:
When the opening band began to play, I quickly realized I was in serious need of some earplugs.  I turned around and asked a staff member if there was a place I could buy some earplugs.  She wasn't sure but stopped a security guard who was passing by and asked him.  As he reached into his pocket he said, "I have this spare set" and handed them over to me.  After a quick glance to ensure their unused status, I thanked them both profusely!  What a huge blessing!!  The timing of that conversation was definitely too good to be coincidence.

Ha ha:
After waiting for an hour and spending $6.50 for bus fair we FINALLY loaded onto an overcrowded bus for our ride into downtown Milwaukee.
All was going so well.  We were happy.  We did get seats on the bus after all!

Shortly after getting settled in my seat though, I had a moment to inspect the strangers whose bodies kept pressing against my person in this over-filled bus.  I looked up at the nearest to me and was filled with relief as I saw she was a cute girl in her twenties, all decked-out for the concert I assumed.  However, as I began to turn my head back to my friends I saw something out of the corner of my eye that would cause anyone to get up and sit somewhere else for fear of being "spilled" on, but I had nowhere else to go.

 What?  Looks innocent enough, right?  Well.  It's not...

Oh, was she carrying a coffee?  No, not coffee.  I'd probably gladly incur a burn over what was really there.  Oh, she must be holding an erp-y baby then?  Nah, that would be expected.  What is it then?  What could be so bad that I'd rather be burned and puked on than be down-wind from this...this...blog-worthy nightmare.
 I give you..."It's-a-hot-day-out-side-and-in-my-haste-to-look-adorable-I-forgot-to-check-the-mirror-before-going-out-in-public-and-then-getting-on-a-crowded-bus-where-I-can't-cover-my-armpits-as-I-hold-the-hanging-hand-rail"

 Go ahead, I DARE you to click on this picture

Do you know what that is?  That is a close-up of the deodorant-crumbled armpit of the decked-out girl standing next to me.  That's right.  Her pit was about 5 inches from my face and I was paranoid the entire ride that one of those crumbles was going to fall on me.  I have no idea what I would have done if that happened. (shudder)

We survived the ride (crumb-free I might add) and made it to the concert on time.  We had a GREAT night together but had decided that we'll do things a little differently next time.  
1. Closer seats
2. Pay for parking downtown and avoid strangers and their armpits on public transit
3. Leave earlier in the day so we can enjoy the festivities
4. Bring hand sanitizer
5. Bring earplugs
6. Take pain-relievers half way through the concert so our aching bodies don't get too achy
4. Take the day AFTER the concert off work so we can sleep in and re-coop!

2 comments:

  1. The armpit picture...sick, yet I was dying laughing. Only you Dani :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete