Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 13: Faces

Aha:
I was asked to witness an Advanced Directive signing for a young and beautiful teenage girl today.  Her hair and make-up were carefully made up.  She sat on her hospital bed with her legs crossed Indian-style in her jeans and bohemian-knitted vest as her last five wishes upon her death were read.  If I hadn't known she was just diagnosed as "terminal" I would never have known it.  She had no fear and had welcomed me into the room like we'd known each other for years.

I had hardly any interaction with this brave girl, but I learned boat loads in the 10 minutes I did have.  I learned that you really can't "judge a book by it's cover"; you never know what that person who just cut you off on the road is going through; those who look healthy and strong may in fact be battling something deadly.  I learned that this life truly is short and our time should be well-spent doing good things with those who matter most.  I was again reminded that the Lord is in control and will direct us down the path HE would have us take and that if we open our arms and hearts to it, we will eventually accept it and find the good in what we do have, or in this girl's case, what time we have left.

The Lord knows what is best for us.  Today I had this very special reminder that what is best for us is accepting His plan and giving our will to Him.  Thank you Lord for guiding me to this experience today and helping me remember to trust in Thee.  Thank you Patient for being such a wonderful example of faith and acceptance.

Ha ha:
As Clinton and I were laying in bed tonight for prayer and scriptures, Clinton turned to me and started continuously repeating, "Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey" over and over. When I finally asked "What?!"  He stared at me intently and then started blinking his eyes and nodding his head while randomly opening and closing his mouth.  When finished he stared at me again until I started laughing which promptly got him laughing.

Man, that kid is random!

No comments:

Post a Comment