Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 336: Chica-Go Long

Aha:
Clinton and I went down to Chicago with some friends of ours yesterday.  The morning started out as an absolute DOWNPOUR but by the time we reached the city, it was perfect weather!
We started out the day at the Junior Women's Olympic Trials for gymnastics--way too cool!  These girls were competing to be included on Team USA and we got to watch!

After the competition we went to Roditys for some Greek food.  We were going to go to Greek Island, but found out the parking lot we'd pulled into was only for patrons of Roditys, so we ate there instead.  The food was pretty good, but our waiter was awful!  When he approached the table he'd ask an indecipherable question and then walk off before you had a chance for follow-up.  Oh well.  We were fairly entertained by it.
Last, but not least, we drove to Navy Pier and walked around.  After we walked around, we walked around some more.  And then we walked to Millennium Park, got lost trying to walk back to the Pier, walked in a big circle and then walked back to the Pier.  I'd venture to guess that we easily walked about 10 miles.
We got back home after 10pm and were totally pooped.  Clinton was asleep within a half hour.
Great day though!  Thanks Morrisons for the fun day!
P.S. Thanks Mel for coming over and letting Peter out to potty!!  You're a great friend! :)
These last three pics are what we wouldn't've seen had we NOT gotten lost.  Maybe that wasn't such a bad thing after all!
Ha ha:
Somehow I got designated as the "guide" while we were in Chicago (maybe cause I've been there about 5 times now), but this was a mistake.  Anyone who knows me knows I'm not the most reliable when it comes to directions.  I'm a hit-or-miss type of guide.
When we left the Pier and began walking toward the park, I realized I had turned the wrong way and led us the long way.  Feeling pretty bad about this, I didn't want to make the same mistake on the return trip, so I said, "Ok.  I know a short cut, one that's more direct.  Let's go this way."  Well, turns out I led us right to the long way again.  Trying to avoid it, Clinton said, "Let's go this way (opposite to where I had led us).  Turns out, it was a giant circle and we ended up right where we'd left off.
At this point I'm feeling pretty dumb and embarrassed.  We begin on the long path back and I apologize about the short cut.  A few minutes later we approached a stop light and right before we got to it the light turned in our favor and we didn't have to wait to cross the street.  Our friend said, "Hey, perfect timing!  We don't have to wait!"
"There's the short cut!" I said. "I knew it was here somewhere!"
We all laughed and then stopped laughing when we realized we still had 2 miles to go...on foot.


No comments:

Post a Comment