Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 304: We All Make Mistakes

Aha:
I have really come to have a real fascination, admiration and adoration for President Uchtdorf.  He is oh-so-handsome to look at, but the inspirational words that come out of his mouth are unbelievable.  His most recent talk from this month's General Conference is titled "The Merciful Obtain Mercy".  I've a quote here I'd like to share.  It is somewhat lengthy, but I believe it is well worth the read.  My favorite parts are "stop it" and the bumper sticker.  What truth and what a solution!  Though it is not easy to do, I believe that "stopping it" is the best policy.

The Bottom Line

This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon. When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following:
Stop it!
It’s that simple. We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and His children. God is our Father. We are His children. We are all brothers and sisters. I don’t know exactly how to articulate this point of not judging others with sufficient eloquence, passion, and persuasion to make it stick. I can quote scripture, I can try to expound doctrine, and I will even quote a bumper sticker I recently saw. It was attached to the back of a car whose driver appeared to be a little rough around the edges, but the words on the sticker taught an insightful lesson. It read, “Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.”
We must recognize that we are all imperfect—that we are beggars before God. Haven’t we all, at one time or another, meekly approached the mercy seat and pleaded for grace? Haven’t we wished with all the energy of our souls for mercy—to be forgiven for the mistakes we have made and the sins we have committed?
Because we all depend on the mercy of God, how can we deny to others any measure of the grace we so desperately desire for ourselves? My beloved brothers and sisters, should we not forgive as we wish to be forgiven?
Ha ha:
I walked into work this morning, just before 8am.  I ran into one of the docs who was leaving the office as I was taking off my coat.
Me:  Mornin' Meg.
She:  Hello.  I barely made it here on time today.
Me:  Oh? (thinking to myself, I'm here a little early, go me!)
She:  And it looks like you did too.
Me:  (I look down at my coat that's still on)  A little, I guess.
She:  For our 8am meeting?  For scheduling?
Me:  Oh.  OH!  Right!
She:  You remembered right?
Me:  Oh, yes.  Uh, I'll take off my coat and be right there!
I would have totally missed that meeting (or at least have been late until the reminder popped up on my computer) had I not run into her!  Phew and ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment