Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 303: A Tough Nut to Crack

Aha:
A friend of mine gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting that totally had my complete and total attention.  I sat there and listened, feeling like everything she said was said directly for my benefit.  I was so touched and uplifted by her talk that I asked for a copy.  Her talk "Enduring Through Your Trials and Tribulations" is based on the talk given by Ronald A. Rasband, "Special Lessons" from April's General Conference.  I will share a portion of it with you today.
"I was getting ready to go to the grocery store one day while Scott stayed home and studied. I got my keys and my coat and walked out to my car alone. I walked right up to the passenger door let myself in and shut the door behind me and just sat there. I am not sure what I was waiting for, but then realized that I would not be going anywhere quickly with no one driving. I got out of the passenger seat and headed towards the driver’s seat while laughing. When adversity comes and we are stuck in a fruitless cycle of self pity, dwelling on these questions which seem to have no satisfying answers, it is much like being stuck in a passenger seat and no one is in the driver’s seat and we aren’t going anywhere quickly. We need to change our position (back to the driver’s seat) if we ever hope to profit from adversity, and to do this we need the Lords help.
Elder Rasband says this in his talk, “At these moments we can turn to the great plan of happiness authored by our Heavenly Father. That plan, when presented in the pre-earth life, prompted us all to shout for joy. Put simply, this life is training for eternal exaltation, and that process means tests and trials. It has always been so, and no one is spared. Trusting in God’s will is central to our mortality. With faith in Him, we draw upon the power of Christ’s Atonement at those times when questions abound and answers are few.”
We must trust in the Lord and change our questions to: What am I to do? What am I supposed to learn from this experience, heartache, trial? What am I to change? Who can I help? How can I remember my blessings and be thankful for the things I have?....
I think that a lack of the correct perspective is often why it is so hard for us to change our questioning to a more productive type. If we could see the blessings and benefits which are ours by righteously passing through adversity then we would not view it as undesirable."
I love the reminders that I am in control of what I take from adversity.  It is so much easier (?) to give in to feeling sorry for yourself and wanting to blame others, but is that really easier in the end?  There is no satisfaction in dwelling on questions that don't yet have answers.  There are times when "just being patient" is what the Lord wants from us and there's nothing more we can do.  We need to put faith in the fact that He does know what is best and will provide a way for us to accomplish what He would have us do.  He knows what will bring us the ultimate progression, and most often that comes through trials.

Ha ha:
One of the docs I work for is named Sach (aka, Dr. Forgetful...no worries, Mom, it ain't no secret!).  While I was out grocery shopping this weekend, I came across the following...
and for obvious reasons, thought of him.  I bought a bag and gave them to him at work today.  While I was handing him the bag, one of our social workers walked in and asked what he got.  I said, "I bought him a bag of hot peanuts."
Sach replied, "Yeah, cause I'm hot."
She said, "Yeah, you're hot alright.  You're a real hot mess!"
My coworker and I totally starting busting up because, not only was this totally surprising to hear, but it is so true!  Sach took his nuts and walked out sulking....I swear, this innuendo was NOT intended, but I know some people are thinking it, so I might as well come out and clarify as much before I start getting a bunch of unruly comments on here!...you know who you are!

1 comment:

  1. At least you said "took his nuts" and not "grabbed his nuts" I might have peed if you wrote that.

    *Hahahaha! Thank goodness for the preview feature on your comments. I accidentally wrote buts instead of nuts!*

    ReplyDelete