Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 63: Food, Glorious Food!

Aha:
I always thought that Clinton and I would get our year's supply of food storage after we moved into our first home.  We figured it would be easier to not have to move and we'd be in a better financial situation to purchase it.  Well, about a year ago I attended a Relief Society interest group activity and happened to stumble into the Food Storage class.  The teacher asked what we'd each like to get from the class and when she turned to me I said, "Well, we'd like to get food storage someday after we finish school and settle, but I thought I'd come and see what I can learn about it today."  She looked me right in the eye and said, "Food storage is not difficult to move, anyone can have it and it's not that difficult to build.  If you make the choice to start your supply the Lord will make it happen."  That got me thinking about something I'd never really thought of before: starting now.
I went home, looked up how to buy food storage on a budget, got a book and got to shopping.  I added $10/week to my grocery list to get extra food items to store.  I told the Lord I was trying to be obedient to the counsel from the church to build a year's supply of food storage but if I were to actually get everything I needed, I would need his help to have the extra money to do so.  I looked up what it would cost to buy my canned goods from the storehouse and it was going to cost about $550!  I was determined.
I kid you not, once I made the decision to save and build my supply, the windows of heaven opened and ways were provided to make extra money.  My hair business at least tripled (and has stayed that way) and I gained two voice students and a piano student; increasing our monthly income by about 20%!  I put all that money in a ziploc bag and saved and saved and saved!  When I thought I had saved enough, I put my order together only to find out prices had increased by almost 30% on many items.  I was devastated!  I told my mom and she told me she was putting some money in our account and that some of it was to be used for our food storage order.  The amount she set aside was exactly what I needed to place my order!  Awesome, eh?
I scheduled my day at the cannery three months ago but as the day approached, no one was available to help me (needed at least 3 more helpers).  I emailed the cannery yesterday to tell them I'd need to reschedule.  Well, I got a call late last night stating there was a group of three coming and they were willing to help me pack my order if I still wanted to come.  What?!  What a miracle!
Well, today was the day for me to drive (thanks again Haley for lending me your Jeep) down to the cannery and can my long-awaited supply.  My helpers were Ron, Jennie and Joyce (as well as the Dewitts, the couple that runs the cannery).  We pumped out all of our orders in about 2.5 hours!  They even helped me load my car!
I feel so blessed and am absolutely amazed at all of the many miracles that occurred as I tried to be obedient to the counsel from the Lord and obtain my year's supply of food storage.

All geared-up and ready to can!

 There is at least one more stack on each side that couldn't fit in the picture

 It doesn't look like much, but there are about 8 more boxes hidden plus, those selves behind me extend about another 4 feet to my right and they are stocked with more food, as well as some toiletries.

Ha ha:
When I got home I laid on the floor (cause that's about all I had energy for) to play with Peter.  As Clinton and I were rolling the ball back and forth I stopped paying attention for a minute and didn't notice that Clinton had rolled it back to me.  My hand was resting palm-down and the ball literally rolled right into it, as if I had caught it with my hand.  I have no idea how that happened but I just started laughing.
Right after that, Peter was laying in front of me and Clinton rolled the ball; it went straight into Peter's mouth!  We both started laughing and Clinton commented that it looked like a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos (gulp!).  Peter didn't even have to reach for it.  Ha! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! I am super impressed with you getting your year supply :) You put me to shame. So did you buy the year supply and have to can it yourself?! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete