Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 175: Singing and Seniors

Aha:
I had the chance to go caroling at a retirement center nearby with some other ward members.  There were only 5 of us to start and only 5 people to sing for, but it felt great nonetheless.  I loved watching the residents' eyes light up and their lips starting to move along with the words when one of their favorites came up.  I don't know, there's just something special about singing that can really bring people together.  By the end of our half hour, 2 other families showed up to sing and another resident came by to listen.  We had a really nice thing going on!
When all the singing was done, we visited with them for another half hour or so.  I even learned that one of the ladies I visited used to be a member of our church!  Small world!
Anyway, I just was grateful that I got out of my bed, postponed my bathroom cleaning till later, and got out the door to go sing.  It made me forget my troubles for a while and helped me to focus on others.  I love this time of year!!

Ha ha:
One of the ladies I spoke with said she really enjoyed hearing us sing.  I thanked her and asked if she was a singer herself.  She said, "Oh no.  I don't sing, but I listen and appreciate very well!  Every performer needs an audience or they'd have no one to perform for!"  I told her that was very true.  She started to reply about something, but right as she did, a little drop of spit flew from her mouth and landed softly on my lip...needless to say I got a little distracted and don't remember anything else from the rest of that conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment