Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 270: Prayer Can Be a Real Mouthful

Aha:
Today's walk to work was accompanied by a General Conference talk by J. Devn Cornish titled, "The Privilege of Prayer".  I really loved hearing him speak so matter-of-factly about the blessings and benefits of prayer.  Here is a little excerpt that I thought would be nice to share--
"...[O]ur Heavenly Father loves us so much that the things that are important to us become important to Him, just because He loves us. How much more would He want to help us with the big things that we ask, which are right (see 3 Nephi 18:20)?....
Little children, young people, and adults alike, please believe how very much your loving Heavenly Father wants to bless you. But because He will not infringe upon our agency, we must ask for His help. This is generally done through prayer. Prayer is one of the most precious gifts of God to man.


We must not imagine that any kind of prayer, no matter how sincere, will be very effective if all we do is to say the prayer. We must not only say our prayers; we must also live them. The Lord is much more pleased with the person who prays and then goes to work than with the person who only prays. Much like medicine, prayer works only when we use it as directed."

Ha ha:
Writing the above made me think about our morning prayer the other day.  I had to be to work early for a meeting but was running a little behind so I ran upstairs with my breakfast in hand and asked Clinton to be the one to pray so I could finish eating.  I took a big, giant bite before he started and chewed through the whole prayer.  Not really sure how respectful or reverent it was (I mean, of course my mouth was closed and all) but I'm sure the Lord didn't mind too much.  I've talked to Him during showers and bathroom breaks, so I'm sure my eating breakfast can't have been that bad! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment