Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 3 of my Aha and Ha ha Moments: Gifts

Aha:  "Gift of Gab" 
My boss called me yesterday to schedule my annual review (due at the beginning of March) for this morning (short notice, but I didn't dare risk having another 4 months without my review).  I was to come prepared with goals and comments about my performance over the last 12+ months.  This caused my heart to beat a little faster than normal.  How was I going to speak eloquently about something I had less than one business day to think about??  I asked one of my coworkers for some ideas and she, thankfully, obliged.  I thought and prayed about it yesterday and again today at work as to what I could talk about.  The time quickly came for my meeting.  As I sat down with my supervisor, I felt quite calm and as prepared as I could possibly be.  My meeting lasted about 45 minutes and we literally just visited (nothing work-related whatsoever) for the first 25 minutes and then she briefly went over my review (all improvements from my first 6 months).  She was very complimentary!  She asked if I had anything I wanted to add.  What?  I thought I had to have all my strengths/weaknesses, goals/ambitions, and deep reflective insights ready for this meeting?  All she asked for was if I have anything I want to add?  So, I kinda chuckled and said, "I wasn't sure what you expected from me, so I kinda prepared "the usual" review stuff."  She seemed very impressed and was grateful I had prepared myself so well!  Woohoo!  I had worried about nothing and ended up only impressing her further. :)

Haha:  "Giver of Gifts"
I drink a lot of water during the day and as a result, I tend to frequent the nearest restroom.  During one of my announcements that I would be going to the restroom my coworker responded, "Ok, but be sure to bring me something back!"  I told her she was gross and proceeded to leave.  However, after finishing my "business transaction" and while washing my hands, I looked into the mirror and was struck with the perfect gift idea for my needy coworker.  I dried my hands, pulled off a large section of toilet paper and pulled the lever on the "Free Maxi Pad" dispenser (one of the many "benefits" for working at the college, however, for someone who rarely has a period, this isn't something I use very often :).  Anyway, I wrapped up the little box in the toilet paper and tied it with what T.P. I had left.  I brought it to her and set it on her desk.  She looked at it for half a second before recognizing exactly what it is.  We all had a great laugh!

1 comment: